Saturday, December 8, 2007

Cool River Café, Irving, USA

1045 Hidden Ridge
Irving, Texas 75038
Tel. 972-871-8881
http://www.coolrivercafe.com

While I’ve been to Dallas and Irving, TX quite a few times on business, I hardly ever had the time to scout for good restaurants. For those of you who visit vibrant Irving on similar business trips, I thought I’d add this restaurant, as it has been my best experience in terms of food quality in the area so far – and it is definitely better than the average steakhouse or Chinese restaurant you are lured into because it is soooo conveniently located just next to your hotel.

As most restaurants in the Dallas area, the Cool River Café is situated in a standalone building next to a highway. The restaurant itself is huge, with room for probably about 300 people in various rooms. The cuisine is “American”, which in this case means a blend of Italian (Beef tenderloin bruschetta, tomato and mozzarella salad, shrimp pasta with sweet peppers and spinach, Calamari, Veal Scalloppine), “Asian” (Ahi Tuna, Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna) and Steakhouse (Delta Blues Barbeque ribs, NY Strip, Rib eye etc.). On my first visit I went for the shrimp pasta (USD 21), and was positively surprised: The pasta was nicely al dente, the sauce was well balanced and the combination of sweet pepper, red onion and spinach in a shrimp pasta was at least new to me. The service was almost prompt, the ambiance not too much that of a train station main hall, and the location is definitely convenient to reach. When I visited the place it was crowded, so it might be advisable to reserve in advance.

Visited: November 2007

No comments: